Rainy days are here, near to you. When the window panes are receiving raindrops often, you feel extra cold and you will probably say, “What a rain”! You feel it's refreshing to a large extent, yet some days you might have complained of a common problem in monsoon – joint pain. Joint pain has even sometimes made you rub your shoulders and search for some pain balm for instant relief. Ever thought about what the ancient medicinal system Ayurveda can offer you if you have joint pain specifically during the monsoon season?
Ayurveda and the monsoon
Ayurveda says monsoon is the Varsha Ritu with strong wind and rain making the air, earth and water polluted alike causing vitiation of the vital energies Vata, Pitta and Kapha . This season is earmarked for total body detoxification and rejuvenation as per Ayurvedic classics. We say, Karkidaka chikitsa , a special term also for that!
Ayurveda has some specific diseases which have maximum probability of occurring in this part of year. Joint pain and associated diseases are also on this list.
Causes for joint pain
You know, this season makes you prone to joint pain as the increased moisture content in the atmosphere increases blood thickness and the increased blood pressure in the blood vessels makes the blood circulation in your body rather difficult. This is also accompanied by related symptoms like swelling, stiffness, muscle weakness etc.
If you are obese or even overweight, you will have more incidence of getting joint pain, especially knee pain. So, mind your body weight always. Factors affecting joint pain are age, body weight, vitamin deficiency, lack of exercise, and overall lifestyle, especially a sedentary one. Note that familial history and your mindset also can be contributing to any kind of pain prevailing in your body.
Diet and lifestyle tips
- You can include whole grains, rice, wheat, fish, barley and spices like turmeric, ginger, garlic in your diet.
- In general, sweet, sour salty tastes are said to be suitable in diet for this season. As your digestive fire will be mostly weak, consuming warm, light food is advisable.
- You can also try recipes like hot soups say ginger, green gram soup and also warm teas like Chukk kaapi , green tea etc. as joint care drinks .
- If you are looking for Vata pacifying special recipes for the monsoon, rice soup, drumstick soup, gram soup (moong dal) can be more fruitful.
- You must add a little cumin, ginger, pepper, turmeric and rock salt also to these. If you like garlic, it can be chopped slightly and added to these recipes.
- Seeds like flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and nuts are also good for daily intake.
- Oil of sesame, mustard, cator etc. are also good in this season for internal consumption. It is better if you include sesame and mustard oil among these in your cooking recipes too. These are pretty hot in potency. So, these increase digestion also if added in recipes. Seems a cool idea!
- Do not go behind junk, fried, cold food and drinks. Reduce high sodium content food which may increase water retention leading to swelling and pain in your joints.
Lifestyle tips for the monsoon
- Vata, the wind energy gets imbalanced in this season. You have to control this vital energy flow by resorting to lifestyle advice as per Ayurveda.
- Use warm clothing always; cotton, woolen clothes are conducive to this season.
- For losing extra pounds, adopt workout with yoga and exercises in daily routine.
- You can do hot oil massage with Vata pacifying oils like Dhanvantaram tailam in this season. This will also give warmth to your body and thereby improve blood circulation.
- A warm bath with water boiled with tamarind or castor leaves is also advisable. This will surely reduce the painful swelling in your joints making them flexible and easier to move.
Ayurvedic herbs known for joint care
Ayurvedic herbs like Shallaki , gulgulu , garlic etc. and herbal combinations like Dasha Moola (medicinal 10 root combo) are known for joint care in Ayurveda.
Ayurvedic treatment procedures for joint care
Ayurvedic treatment for joint care includes applying oil on the joint aka Snehana, fomentation therapy Swedana, especially Upanaha Sweda in which medicinal paste is applied on the joints and tied with medicinal leaves and bandaged. This procedure helps to reduce pain and swelling in joint diseases effectively. Enema procedures specific to joints like Janu Vasti for knee care, Kati Vasti for back ache care is done in Ayurveda. Medicinal purgation Virechana is also done as per the condition of the joint and the onset of the pain.
Bipha Heathcare and joint care
Bipha has been a famous name in Ayurveda for years and has an unparalleled legacy of more than 90 years. Ayurvedic joint care supplements are also included in the wide range of Bipha healthcare products.
Sahacharadi Kashaya caplet
An Ayurvedic caplet prepared from the herbal extracts of Sahacharadi Kashaya; it eases pain and inflammation of the low back area, restores motility and function of lower limbs and joints affected by inflammatory arthritis.
An Ayurvedic caplet made from classical decoction known as Sahacharadi Kashaya; with key ingredients as Sahachara (Barleria prionitis), Suradaru (Cedrus deodara),Naagara (Zingiber officinale) and Bala (Sida cordifolia). It is an effective medicine for the management of inflammatory and degenerative diseases mainly affecting the low back area and lower limbs such as sciatica, lumbago, rheumatic and osteoarthritic pain and inflammation over the low back area. Sahacharadi kashaya caplet can be used for Sciatica, Low back pain, Disc prolapse, Facial palsy, Joint pains, and Rheumatic pain. It also eases pain and stiffness in joints and promotes easy movements of lower limbs.
MRY Compound tablet
A multifaceted polyherbal formulation for joint care, MRY Compound is originally Maharasnadi Kashaya fortified with Yoga raja guggulu .
- Strengthens muscles, ligaments, tendons and supporting structures.
- Provides long term solution for Arthritis.
- Restores mobility.
- Reduces pain and inflammation.
This medicine is indicated in Amavatha(Rheumatoid arthritis), Cervical and lumbar spondylosis,Sandhigathavatha(Osteoarthritis),Arthralgia, Gout, Apabahuka(Frozen shoulder).
Make your joints more capable and flexible this monsoon with Ayurvedic healthcare.